Friday, October 5, 2012

Test Fitting the Side

Well, I tried calling Lou this morning, but his voicemail says he is out until the 15th, so I guess I am on my own.

The scarf that I glued up last night came out very nice. It will take just a touch of finish sanding and should be perfect.

So, I decided to dry-fit it to the jig and see how much trouble I am in:




It came out really good. Hard to imagine it fitting any better.

The only thing that has me scratching my head is that the diagram on "Plan B" has the "notch" (the gap between the wider board and the narrower one) on the bottom, not on the top (as it sits in my pictures):


When you look at that diagram, and see how Barlow has the outline of the boat sketched out (the dashed line) you see that the notch is supposed to be on the bottom.

Well, I'm thinking Ed got that one wrong, because there is really no way mine could fit any better. I'm going to trust the boat and not the plans. 

With that in mind, I went ahead and glued up the other side's scarf joint. Tomorrow when its dry, I'll dry-fit that side and start the process of getting them attached.

I'm guessing there is still a chance that Lou is going to tell me I have this wrong, but I don't see how. The way I have it fit, there is very little (almost none, actually) excess extending off the top, meaning I am using about as much of the boards as I can. I'm feeling like I've got this.


No comments:

Post a Comment