Thursday, October 4, 2012

Gluing up the side scarfs

The scarfs I cut yesterday are looking good. I took my little "mouse" sander and cleaned off the epoxy a bit...knocking down the high spots and dusting a couple of bugs that landed there last night.

Tonight's task was to get them glued up.

I found myself wondering if I have them cut properly. The problem is right here:


I decided not to out-think myself, so I went with the version on top, per the "Plan B" sheet. I am going to have to call Lou in the morning and make sure I did that right.

In the mean time, I decided to cut my risk in half and only glue up one side. Beside that, I am still pretty new at this, and I would have to stack one panel on top of the other to do both, and I'd rather take an extra day to do them carefully, one at a time.

So I mixed up some epoxy, added some wood flour to thicken it up to somewhere between catsup and peanut butter (in case I have any spots of poor contact inside the scarf), and glued them up:



It looks like they went together very cleanly. I was certainly neater with the epoxy this time around than I was the first time. 

Hopefully Lou tells me tomorrow that I am doing this right. Otherwise I'll have to cut this one apart and re-do it. Fingers crossed....


No comments:

Post a Comment