Sunday, October 21, 2012

Oops: Porter Cable Eats Itself

Spent some time sanding off the hull with my longboard this morning. The wood is pretty fair to start with, so I am mainly concentrating on making sure the scarfs are nice and clean.

Then I turned my attention to the deck beams. I have three glued up and off the jig, so I figured this was a good time to clean off the squeeze-out and even out the laminations.

The first side of the first one came out nice:


But unfortunately, I had this much left to do on the other side:


When I screwed up and got the sander's cord wrapped up inside the belt. The result was terminal:


The good news is there is a place that services these not too far from my office. I'll take it in tomorrow. Hopefully they can get to it quickly.

I also had a bit of a learning experience on epoxy today. When gluing up the deck beams, what I found is that each beam takes about half of one "small" batch of epoxy. I'm using Marinepoxy, and bought the pump dispensers from Duckworks. With those, the smallest batch you can make is two squirts of resin and one squirt of hardener. I decided to use my kitchen scale to come up with a half-batch.

So I squirted out one squirt of resin. That weighed in at exactly 26 grams. Then I added 13 grams of hardener. Turns out that was pretty much exactly what I needed to glue up beam #4. 

But as I was working, it occurred to me that maybe the proportions by weight were not the same as the proportions by volume. A bit of research (yes, I should have done this first!) proved that to be correct. Here is the chart from Duckworks. Turns out I was just a tad long on my hardener. I don't think its going to hurt any, but we will see tomorrow when I pull the beam off the jig.



No comments:

Post a Comment