Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Starting the bottom planking

I didn't have a lot of time tonight to stop and take pictures, so here it is after I was done:


The back half of the planking is on.

Not much to the process at this point. I cut the panel to rough length, put it on the boat and got it into position. The next part was the worst. I had to crawl underneath to mark the position of the joints on the panel so I would know where to apply the glue. Then I marked the outside of the panel as well.

Took it off, cut it to size (leaving a half inch or so all the way around). Pre-drilled the holes in the panel, mixed up a double batch of glue and started coating the faring surfaces. Ran out of glue, mixed up some more, and finished coating. Then I mixed up even more glue, thickened it a bunch with wood flour, and put that over the first glue. After it was all said and done, I grabbed one of my daughters and we carefully placed it back in position. From there it was just drilling and screwing, back to front, until it was done. 

Seeing as I am getting more comfortable every day with the epoxy, I didn't go overboard quite so much tonight. There was much less squeeze out than before. Still just a little, but not ridiculous like it had been. That made the last job of the night (crawling back underneath and dealing with the interior squeeze out) slightly more pleasant. 

I should be able to get the front panel on tomorrow, which means this thing is pretty close to actually being a hull.

No comments:

Post a Comment