Thursday, October 18, 2012

Some Jigsaw Work

Decided to turn my attention to the jigsaw tonight. I cut out a bunch of pieces, concentrating on the centerboard and the rudder assembly.

It started with pulling the 3/4" panel out of the pile. This was the one that was used to source the transoms earlier. I cut out a bunch of patterns from the Barlow plans, and laid them out:


Little trick: When you are taping down patterns like this, stick the tape to an open section of the board first so it picks up some dust and isn't so sticky. That way it won't tear the pattern when you lift it off.

From there, it was sawing and sawing and some more sawing. Eventually, I ended up with a complete rudder assembly (which I dry-fit together just to see how cool it would look):


And a rough cutout of the centerboard:


I particularly like the centerboard. I remember looking at these plans as a kid and liking that hook in the upper left hand corner. Its cool having one of my own!

Next job of the night was to pull yesterday's deck beam off the gluing jig, and get the next one started. Each of these takes about half of a standard quantity of epoxy (two squirts of resin, one squirt of epoxy). I hate wasting that stuff since its so spendy, but I don't have anything to do with the excess, so there it is. I might try weighing it out so I can make smaller batches. As it is, I've got about 2" or so left in the bottom of my first (of four) bottles of resin. As long as I can get through the project without needing more, I'll be ok, but the really heavy use (glassing and fairing the hull) is yet to come.

Here you can see last night's beam sitting next to tonight's.

It occurred to me tonight that I should have been keeping track of how much time I'm spending on this boat. Oh well. Nothing to do about that now. I will say that for the most part, each of these installments represents something like two hours (average) of work time. It seems to be going well, and I'm getting more and more comfortable that Seven Wonders will be in the water come spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment