Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Swish, swish...

Not a lot of visible progress the last couple of days. I've been working on fairing the chines and keelson, sanding them and planing them into metaphysical perfection. Or at least something close enough.

Tonight I got the sides cut and the scarfs beveled. After trying this with my belt sander the last time, I decided to try it with my jack plane this time.

Wow.

THAT is the way to cut scarfs!


I went from nothing to finished in just a few minutes. The results look pretty good:


I read somewhere that the end grain on the scarfs can suck all the epoxy out of a joint, so you want to pre-seal them with epoxy:


All that is done, so I should be able to get the scarfs assembled tomorrow, and then with any luck hang the sides on the boat on Thursday.

Looking forward to that!



No comments:

Post a Comment