Thursday, September 13, 2012

Plywood is here!

I am pleased to report that the plywood arrived today!

From where I am sitting, the folks at www.marine-plywood.us run a tight ship. They got my order out promptly, crated it like you wouldn't believe, and got it to me in good order. 

I went with the Okoume based on Lou Brochetti's recommendation. He said it had two advantages: Clear, smooth surface to make fairing easier, and very light weight. I have to say he was right on the money on both counts. The surfaces of this stuff (made in France? Who knew? I didn't realize anything was made in France anymore.) are perfect, and I can't believe how light it is. By feel, it seems like something like half the weight of regular home center plywood. Should make for a nice light, fast boat, eh?

Here it is stacked up in my garage, ready to get cut into boat shapes:


My only regret is that I am heading out of town for the weekend, so I won't be able to dig into this stuff until next week. Gonna be hard to wait!

2 comments:

  1. I really like your blog and have one with similar information. If you have time check it out.
    The best sitesurface

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just really like working with wood made and am always looking for new things made by wood.

    Modular Kitchen | MDF with Veneers

    ReplyDelete