Monday, September 3, 2012

Making the transom knees

While I am waiting for the rest of my materials to arrive, I thought I'd go ahead and get started making something, so I went down to Menards and got this lovely piece of mahogony:



Today's goal is to get the transom knees cut out. They are made from three pieces of 1" stock, laminated together, and will connect the keelson to the transoms, front and back. I'll be able to get them cut out, but the actual gluing up will have to wait for my epoxy to arrive from Duckworks.

The Barlow plans have exact patterns for these pieces, but they are on these large sheets and I don't want to cut them up.


So, I went down to the office and copied off the parts that I need onto some heavy-gauge stock and cut them out:


From there, it was just a matter of tracing around them onto the board, making sure to vary the grain orientation in order to maximize the strength of the final glue-up:


Next I got out my trusty jig-saw. Here's a tip: For the amateur/occasional woodworker like me, I always make a point to buy tools that come with their own case. It keeps things neat and makes it easier to find accessories like blades and such when you need them.



I used the jig saw to cut out the curved parts. On the first set, I tried keeping the blade right on the line. That was a failure. The blade was drifting too much, and I ended up too far inside the line a couple of times. Good thing I had extra wood, so I marked off two more and tried again. This time, I just kept the blade a little proud of the line. Worked better. I'll sand these down to final size after they are glued up.


Next thing was to get out the table saw and make the straight cuts. Simple enough:


And just like that, the first few pieces of the actual Pelican are finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment