Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Last step on the jig

I had one more step to finalize the jig.

The angle forms are sized in the plans 1" narrower than they ultimately need to be. You then add a piece to the side that will form a notch for the chines during hull assembly.

At the same time, initially those extender pieces are installed flush with the top of the flare forms. That way, they hold the chines out 1" from the angle forms during the step where the chines are assembled. After assembly, the extenders are to be lowered 1 7/8" to create the chine notch. This process is different from the original San Francisco Pelican plans, where the chine notches were just cut into the sides of the flare forms/angle forms. I'm glad Ed Barlow figured out this alternative method, since its a lot easier.

Anyway, I started by ripping down some old plywood the other day. I cut two sets of strips. One set was about 4" wide. The other set was exactly 1" wide. I used screws to fasten one of the 1" strips to the edge of each of the 4" strips like this:

and this...


and this...


Once each assembly was completed, I used the chop saw to cut a bevel on the top edge that corresponds to the bevel of that flare form:

Then I screwed the assembly to the jig, aligning it with the top of the flare form for now:

You can see it better here:

Like I said earlier, these extensions will stay like this while the chines are glued up and cut to final length. Once the chines are ready, I will pull off these extensions and slide them down 1 7/8" (the width of the chines) where they will serve as a ledge for keeping the chines in place while the plywood is glued up.





No comments:

Post a Comment