Saturday, September 8, 2012

Gluing and planing

Today was a big day.

I've ordered all kinds of stuff off the Internet for this build, and it seems like it all came in last week, so today was the first day to really put it to use. Buying things used and cheap off the Internet is fun.

My Marinepoxy from Duckworks arrived, along with some nifty pump dispensers. I got both "fast" and "slow" hardener.


I glued up the transom knees last night. I was a little worried that it would set, because I realized too late that I had my proportions wrong. I guess its more forgiving than I expected, because this morning it seemed to have set just fine, if maybe a little tacky.

I used this new benchtop sander that I got to even off the glue-ups. I think the tacky epoxy ruined the belt and the disk. Alas. Gonna need some new ones. I can tell already this thing is going to get a lot of use on this project.


After I had them evened out and looking good, I decided to go a little overboard and route an ogee around the edges.


They came out looking pretty cool. I think I am going to finish them bright to show them off a bit.



My new belt sander arrived as well. This thing is a beast. Really happy with it. Its the first decent belt sander I've ever had, and its a keeper:


I used it to bevel off the corners on the jig. Made quick work of the job.


But the real task for the day was planing down all the framing lumber into the various thicknesses I need.

My neighbor, Don, loaned me his planer. The only thing better than having a planer of your own is having a neighbor who has a planer. 


Four hours later, we had an enormous pile of shavings and a bunch of properly planed wood.


Lydia and Celia helped me feed the boards through the machine. 


Sunnie fights me for the ShopVac.


Its been a long day, but we got a bunch done. The plywood should arrive in a few days. I'm hoping to have the hull off the jig in a month. We just might make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment