Saturday, September 22, 2012

Laminating the keelson and cutting the transoms

Had a productive session this afternoon after getting the trailer sorted out.

First, I needed to get the two layers of the keelson laminated together. That started with marking and cutting off the ends of the strongback so that it clears the transom knees.


Next I did a dry fit, mainly to make sure my clamping strategy was going to be able to pull the lamination tight and down flush to the strongback.


From there, it was just a matter of mixing up a bunch of epoxy, slathering a bunch on both sides of the lamination, and positioning it together. I put my clamps back in place first, then went down the line, starting at the bow, and added 3/4" stainless screws every ten inches or so.


Everything seemed to come out fine. Since I used "slow" hardener, I expect that it won't be cured until tomorrow afternoon.

Next, I wanted to get the transoms cut and beveled. This was another gut-check, since that piece of 3/4" Joubert cost over $150 by itself. I didn't want to screw it up.

I started by marking out all the cuts. Duke took more interest in that process than I would have preferred. 


I figured it would be easier making the cuts down on top of the crate bottom (which I have been using for a cutting board for a while now). I took a piece of straight 1x4 and used my brad nailer to tack it onto the board. Turns out the offset for my new saw is exactly 1.5" proud. Because I need to get other pieces out of this board, I couldn't run the cuts all the way through, and needed to use my jig saw to finish in the corners.

Next thing you know, the bow and transom are cut out. That's Anthony, the neighbor kid from across the street. He has taken quite an interest in the project and comes over whenever he sees me out working.


The next step was to bevel the edges of the bow and transom. Out of a total of six cuts, five were fairly easily done with the circular saw and a guide board.


Unfortunately, the last one is at too sharp of an angle, so the only way to do it is to pass the board vertically over the table saw. This has got to be about the most awkward thing I've ever done, but it worked out, and the bevels are all set.


No comments:

Post a Comment