Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Attaching the transom knees

Tonight's task was to get the transom knees attached to the keelson.

I started by taking a look at the scarf joints from last night. I'm pleased to report that the epoxy cured very nicely, and the joints are nice and strong. I got out my belt sander and cleaned off some of the squeeze out, and they look outstanding.

So it was time to attach the transom knees. Since the keelson is to be laminated in two layers in a later step, I started by deciding what the "best" side was. That was determined to be the side that will ultimately show on the inside of the boat.

Next, I marked off two lines 13' 1" apart. Those points become the marks for the vertex of the transom knees. At each mark, I scribed a line for the centerline of the keelson in order to make sure the knees are properly centered.


I then test fit each of the knees, using a clamp to get them in position.


I marked the outline of the knees on the keelson (in order to know where to apply the glue later), then flipped the whole business over and drilled and countersunk two holes on each knee to attach them. I'm operating under the assumption that the epoxy is what gives the strength here, so there's no point in overdoing it with the screws. Two is enough to hold them tight.  I went ahead and pre-sank the screws, then backed them back out, in order to make sure the holes were fully formed.

Next, I mixed up a batch of epoxy and glued them on. Wow! I used the "fast" hardener for the first time and they aren't kidding. I barely got the gluing done before the cup was  uncomfortably hot to the touch and the epoxy was beyond spreading. Too bad. I had hoped to get a coat all over the knees, and even get as much on the keelson as I could before I ran out. Live and learn. The "slow" hardener seems to give you forever. The fast....not so much.

Anyway, we ended up with one of these at each end.


I now have EIGHT pieces of actual boat glued and screwed together! PROGRESS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment