Saturday, November 10, 2012

Shaping the centerboard and rudder

Did some work with my jack plane and a couple of sanders today. Got the centerboard and rudder all carved up.

The idea is to give them a bull-nose profile on the leading edge, and a taper on the trailing edge. Here's what I came up with:

Found this was a handy way to carve the trailing edge of the rudder:


The centerboard came out pretty nice. Some of the shot I epoxied in last week was standing a little proud, so I sanded it off with a belt sander. I assume the dust from that is pretty nasty stuff. I'm glad I don't do this every day.


Here are the two pieces in final form. To do this, what worked well was to take a jack plane and rough in the bevel. For the bull-nose side, I roughed it in with a block plane. Then I took the belt sander and smoothed it out a bit more. For the final profile, I used my little "mouse" sander, which really gave a nice finish.


Last task of the day was to get a layer of glass on one side of the centerboard. I cut it so it was about three inches bigger than the piece. To get around the corners, I cut a bunch of relief notches. I used a spreader to get the epoxy through the glass on top, then used a 2" chip brush to get the glass bedded in on the underside. It came out pretty well, but there are a few spots I'll have to sand smooth before I glass the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment