Sunday, April 28, 2013

Big time gut-check today...

Was able to set aside some time today to work on the Pelican. Sorry, no photos. My phone battery is dead.

Two things on the agenda: First, I got started making the mast step box. This is the little box that holds the bottom of the mast down inside the boat. Not a lot to it, other than having to cut some weird angles. Six pieces, now all epoxied together. After it sets I'll get out a rasp, clean it up, and get it installed in the boat.

The second thing was the scariest operation yet: Cutting the center slot. There is something about slicing a huge hole in the bottom of the hull that terrified me. I bet I've measured it a half dozen times over the last few months.

Anyway, its not going to wait forever, so I decided to get to it. Really went pretty easy. I used my circular saw with the rip guide running along the keelson, and it came out perfect.

One thing I wasn't counting on: The keelson is under a lot of tension from being bent. After I cut the sides, I drilled a big hole and used a jig saw to finish off the ends. When the first end came free BAM! The slug I was cutting out sprang back to more or less straight, and scared me to death!

After getting my heart re-started, the other end came off easy, and that was that!

This week we should be getting the deck beams on.

Edit:

Ok...phone is charged. Here are some snaps:

Here's the mast step box. Not much to this...


Here's the centerboard slot. I cut it wider than the plans call for. I have something special in mind for that. Details to follow...


I went ahead and got started fitting in the deck beams. 


Lots of trial and error involved in fitting those. I wish I knew a faster way, but I just kept nibbling away at the ends until they dropped in and fit properly.


No comments:

Post a Comment