Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Making the strongback...

Tonight's task was to carve out the strongback. I started by heading back to Home Depot and getting a 16 foot long piece of pine quarter-round trim. Then I drove a finish nail into each of the offset marks on the strongback from last night.

Next, I took some clamps and roughed in the curve, placing the quarter-round strip against the nails.


In spots, it helped to add another nail to hold the quarter-round flush against the mark:


With the strip in place, it was a simple matter to run a sharpie against the inside and mark the curve:

From there, I used a circular saw to carefully cut along the line, and with that, the strongback shape is established:


Tomorrow night I will start making the cross-frame members.

No comments:

Post a Comment